New ‘EcoSteps’ Initiative to Extend Mission to Improve Health and Fitness
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Today, Town Sports International Holdings, Inc. (TSI) announced the launch of its new ‘EcoSteps’ initiative, a fully integrated sustainability program. This industry- leading program will bring innovative processes, practices and solutions to TSI’s entire club network.
“A healthy planet means healthy living for all of us, which is why we’ve made a company-wide commitment to lessening TSI’s impact on the environment,” said COO Martin Annese. “EcoSteps is a natural extension of our company’s mission to improve health and fitness. More efficient, more environmentally sustainable clubs will give our members better opportunities to work toward both a healthier body and planet.”
TSI is committing to ambitious goals with its EcoSteps initiative. The company aims to reduce energy usage by 20 %, water usage by 5% and recyclable waste by 75% over the next 3 years. This long-term program, which TSI will be working on closely with community leaders and sustainability experts, will educate employees and members about how they can participate to help achieve these goals.
Annese continued, “The plan has been 24 months in the making and takes a holistic look at our entire operation to figure out how to not just “go green” but also how to become more efficient in the process.”
EcoSteps is already being implemented. TSI has established a Sustainability Steering Committee reporting directly to Annese. Additionally, TSI has instituted the following processes and practices:
- Energy Management Systems at more than 60 clubs throughout the 158 club network in the United States
- Lighting retro-fit projects completed at 20 clubs with another 30 additional underway.
- Recycling programs at 100 clubs and 6 regional corporate offices,
- Participation in EPA’s Climate Leaders program with 5-year green house gas emission reduction goals pending.
- The Green Revolution, power-generating exercise equipment.
- 80 kW PV (kilowatt photovoltaic) solar platform at TSI’s Elmsford corporate office as part of a renewable energy pilot program.
About Town Sports International:
New York-based Town Sports International Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:CLUB) is a leading owner and operator of fitness clubs in the Northeast and mid-Atlantic regions of the United States and, through its subsidiaries, operated 161 fitness clubs as of March 31, 2010, comprising 109 New York Sports Clubs, 25 Boston Sports Clubs, 18 Washington Sports Clubs (two of which are partly-owned), six Philadelphia Sports Clubs, and three clubs located in Switzerland. These clubs collectively served approximately 495,000 members. For more information on TSI, visit http://www.mysportsclubs.com.